Abortion is safe and legal in New Mexico. Let’s keep it that way!
New Mexico is one of the few remaining places in the country where a woman or pregnant-capable person can make personal decisions about abortion without political interference. New Mexicans understand that a woman and her family need access to a full range of reproductive healthcare, including abortion. While other states have enacted more than 480 laws that restrict access to abortion since 2010 and more than 300 in the past 5 years alone, New Mexico remains a place where women from our communities and across the country can access the safe and legal healthcare they need.
But there are politicians and anti-abortion extremists who think they have the right to stand in the way of your medical decisions based on their own political agenda. They think that, even though they don’t know you, anything about your life, or your personal circumstances, they have the right to tell you what's best for you and your family. They disrespect and betray New Mexican values by:
- Using intentionally misleading, dangerous, and violent misinformation campaigns and pushing outrageous conspiracy theories.
- Protecting a law that criminalizes abortion in New Mexico.
- Criminalizing women and their doctors for safe, needed, and wanted abortions.
- Murdering, terrorizing, and intimidating women and medical professionals outside clinics and homes
- Pushing legislation that would take private medical decisions out of our own hands and place them in the hands of politicians. Since 2010, more than 30 pieces of legislation have been introduced in the NM Legislature by anti-abortion activists and legislators seeking to restrict access to aboriton, ban abortion altogether, or subject abortion patients and providers to medically unnecessary and invasive regulations.
We want to ensure that New Mexico remains a state that respects women and families. We do that by fighting against anti-abortion extremism in our communities and in the legislature. We do it by affirming women's reproductive health decisions. We're doing it by speaking out against shame and stigma.
- We Respected Albuquerque Women and Won
- We marched in solidarity with people all over the country fighting restrictive and dangerous laws on access to abortion.
- We tell the truth about what the law says and the needs of our communities.
- We center the thoughts, needs, and stories of our most impacted communities
- We fight to decriminalize abortion in New Mexico.
- We fight stigma by creating a safe and supportive space to talk about pregnancy-related issues and care. We bust myths about rural New Mexico, communities of faith, and communities of color andabout their beliefs on reproductive health care.