New Mexico has an antiquated statute on the books that was signed into law before the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Roe v. Wade in 1973. This statute criminalizes abortion in almost all circumstances. While most of this outdated law is currently unenforceable, that could change if Roe v. Wade is overturned.
We are working to repeal this criminal statute and protect access to safe and legal abortion in New Mexico for future generations. With your help, we can accomplish this goal.
Healthcare is not a crime.
Reproductive healthcare should not be treated as a crime. We all deserve access to safe and legal care during our pregnancies, without the risk of criminal penalty, no matter the personal healthcare decisions we make for ourselves and our families. Likewise, healthcare providers shouldn't be criminally charged because they provide abortion care.
Medical care is highly regulated, we don't need a restrictive criminal law that singles out abortion access. Medical experts and providers agree that laws restricting abortion access harm their patients. Respected medical organiztions such as the American Medical Association (AMA) and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist (ACOG) have made public statements supporting abortion access.
New Mexicans Support Abortion Access
- Outdated and dangerously restrictive laws like the one still on the books in New Mexico take complex, personal decisions away from New Mexico women and families and restrict access to safe care.
- 77% of rural new Mexicans agreed that they could hold their own moral views about abortion and still trust a woman and her family to make decisions about abortions for themselves, including 79% of Catholics.
For generations, New Mexicans have shown we support our loved ones no matter what personal healthcare decisions they make.
New Mexicans have built and protected safe and legal access to reproductive health for centuries. This includes indigenous people, people of color, and people of faith.
We have been moved to action by our identities, not in spite of them.
As other states and the federal government continue on a dangerous path of creating barriers to safe and legal abortion, New Mexico must remain a place where we will not close our doors or our hearts.
Signing this petition in support of this bill would:
- Repeal the outdated statute that criminalizes healthcare providers for providing abortion care and possibly the women that seek abortion care.
- Protect personal decision making of New Mexican women and families.
- Affirm that Reproductive Healthcare including abortion is NOT a crime.